Wednesday, July 25, 2012

No Doubt

I had a customer tell me once that she had a sewing machine operator who was seldom right but never in doubt.

We’ve all known people like that and maybe we’ve even been that person from time to time. That’s why we laugh when we hear such gems. It’s the Mark Twain appreciation of the quirky human condition that I think is in all us Americans.

I love Twain but my favorite contemporary commentator is the economist Thomas Sowell. As you may have guessed from reading this column (don’t you have work to do???), he tends to be a bit right of center, but what I really like about him is that he has a great way with words. Just look him up and read some of his work.

My favorite Sowell-ism is “It takes a high IQ to evade the obvious.”

It seems to me there are just a few too many of us with college educations these days, and more and more, except for true sciences like engineering and biology and physics and such, I wonder just how well we’re served by all these four year and advanced degrees.

For example, I don’t think it took a high IQ to know that exporting good sewing jobs to Mexico and everywhere else in the world through NAFTA was not such a good idea. We went from something like a million sewing machines operating commercially in the U.S. when I started in this business to less than a tenth of that now. Somehow the folks with high IQ’s and advanced degrees told us we were supposed to see many more jobs than that created in the changeover to a service economy, but I don’t see it. In fact I just saw a story that more people filed for Social Security disability last month than got new jobs.

I may not be so smart, but I prefer to cast my lot with people who actually get out there and shake it than with the academics. Like you folks out there that put needle and thread to fabric and make a living out of it and then buy stuff from us. I think you’re the ones who’ve got it right.

No doubt about it!

Go to SouthStar Catalog Search Page.

Go to SouthStar SewBiz Resources Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment