Monday, February 24, 2014

Grist Columnist: It's What You Make It

SouthStar's new Bulletin #242
is in the mail.
Way back when in the 1970s before many of you were born and maybe even some of your parents, I was a teenager cruising around Nashville in my older sister's 1966 Cheverolet Corvair, which I had inherited after the middle child, my older brother. Although it looked kind of sporty and had a rag top, that car had seen better days and was always breaking down, diminishing my coolness quotient considerably, forcing me to shoe leather to get around from time to time. But beggars can't be choosers and I learned from the experience. I learned to take the good with the bad.

Perhaps my Corvair education is why I remember one song from those days so fondly: Dick Feller's "Makin' the Best of a Bad situation." In it, he talks about a woman whose husband thinks he's a chicken. She says it's not so bad because they can sure use the eggs.

Sometimes you just have to get philosophical when things aren't turning out quite how you pictured them. or when everybody's telling you how lucky you are and you're not feeling all that lucky. Or... when the government's telling you you're in a recovery, that the unemployment rate is down, and stuff like that, kind of making you think they're going to take care of you in sickness and in health... Dream on.

What I like about this business is that I work with lots and lots of people, you among them, who know better. You get out there and get at it. You may not be able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but you are indeed making valuable things out of scraps of fabric and thread and whatnot, and making a living at it.

With you folks, it really is what you make it, and we're darn(ed) proud to be a part of it.

Go to SouthStar Catalog Search Page.

Go to SouthStar Sewing Business Resources Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment